Saturday, September 23, 2006

They're called braces here

My life here in London is a little more hectic than I can express (and mostly consists of things that people wouldn't want to read about in a fashion blog), so I'm not getting the shopping that I'd like to done. It's kind of sad. Still, now that I've moved into my apartment, things are getting a little less complicated here, and I'm sure I'll have tons to tell you all about Topshop soon (I did visit a Topshop, but I'm saving the entry for when I go to the one at Oxford Circus).

In the meantime, one thing that I am enjoying is the fashion dares that I'm willing to take here. There are lots of potential reasons for why I'm going a little more all out here: A) I'm pretty anonymous. I have my little crowd of friends, but I have a lot of independence too, and frankly, I don't care if random Londoners on the street think that I'm a fashion psycho. B) I spend all day (and sometimes all night) at an Acting Conservatory, so I spend most of my time wearing black movement clothes. Yeah. I definitely need a little more excitement when I'm dressing for myself. But I think that the main reason is C), that it really seems accepted, if not encouraged, here to figure out your own aesthetic and wear whatever you want wherever you want (within reason). It's cool.

Right now, for example, I'm wearing burgundy ballet flats, white fishnet tights, a brown tweed skirt with suspenders (those are the part I was a little anxious about), and a casual, thermal top. I like it. It works. And I haven't gotten a single strange glance yet. Fashion week is almost over here, but Long Live London Fashion!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the braces are an awsome look. i can't wait until you visit oxford street london, it's an adventure in itself! it's nice to see you blogging some uk stuff, i must say ;) i hope you enjoy it here!!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oxford street topshop, i meant to say.x

4:38 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Thanks! I'm really enjoying blogging about (and, of course, shopping in) the UK, so you can expect London blog entries for the rest of the semester. And I can't wait until I go to Oxford Street Topshop, either :)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home