Saturday, March 31, 2007

Exercising restraint

Will the shopping ever end? NO! Well, it'll never stop completely, but it does have to stop for a little while now that I've left New York. Actually, I moderated myself pretty well while I was there, given how much I wanted that I didn't indulge in. . . BUT, if one of my lovely readers out there wants to do a bit of shopping, here are my picks!

This darling little dress, from Forever 21, has such a fabulous pattern that you really wouldn't need much else to make it into an outfit. Like everything from Forever 21, it's also cheap as can be and easy to wear. It's a good thing it's yellow (which most blondes can't really wear, me included), or else I probably would have bought it.

I've actually wanted a nice checkered jacket since the fall. I had quite a few option in New York City, but none were quite perfect, and I figured that if I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer for the perfect one. Jackets, apparently, are like men.

Shopping at places like Scoop, Intermix, Barney's Co-op and the like exposes me to far too much Marc Jacobs. Had I bought another Marc Jacobs piece, I probably would have spent myself into debt. Yes, one was enough--but there were still quite a few pretty little Marc by Marc Jacobs tops, such as the one above, that were calling my name.

As much as I like them, I didn't get a pair of sailor pants. I just don't have room in my closet, and I'm not ready to kick anythign else out to make room yet.

And hell, as long as I'm talking about things I can't have. . . this Chloe dress is amazing! It's never been an option for me, give my lack of thousands of dollars to spend on clothes, but I love it!

At Urban Outfitters, I had to ask an employee to check in the back and see if this top was available in my size. As I waited, a girl walked by and picked up the top and said, "Hideous. If this is in style, I don't want to be in style." Hahaha. It's ok, darling, I don't want to look like you, either. Anyway, I really love it, so it's an awful pity the they didn't have my size. Boo. Well, as soon as it goes on sale on the website, I'm going to STOP exercising restraint, and buy it!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Arsheen said...

hey do you know where those sailor pants are from?? and LOVE Forever 21

3:40 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Hi there, the pants are from Urban Outfitters.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the yellow dress from F21 is cute, but funnily enough, it was the subject of a blog post on another blog i read called "counterfeit chic" ...apparently it's a direct, blatant copy of a diane von furstenburg dress! here's the link:
http://www.counterfeitchic.com/2007/03/seeing_double.php

DVF has been in the news a lot lately because she's on a campaign to combat counterfeits. interesting to follow her progress, for sure!

8:17 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Oh wow, how weird! I thought that the design was a bit sophisticated for F21. . . the idea of fashion copyrights is indeed an interesting one. Some economic theorists think that copyrighting fashion will actually really hurt the fashion industry because trends won't reach the masses as fast, and most people won't be able to afford true "fashion" any more. It's definitely a debate to be watched!

But wow, you're right, that dress is a BLATANT copy.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I think yellow looks absoulutely faboulous on blondes, you are so wrong on that one. Have seen it done and work zillions of times

11:29 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Well, it depends on the blonde and it depends on the yellow I suppose. Mustard yellows and bronze-y yellows can be fine, but I do thinks that most blondes look seriously washed out in yellow, particularly when it's bright. But what I said is that MOST blondes, such as me, can't wear yellow. Sorry, I maintain that I'm not "so wrong," I'm definitely of the anti-yellow for blondes persuasion.

2:54 PM  
Blogger bitsandbobbins said...

continuing the convo about counterfeits: i think it's hard to copyright certain fashion designs, or to sue over what may be perceived as a copy of a design (though it has been attempted), but as i recall, the issue with that particular dress and DVF is the prints, which were signature prints to DVF, and WERE copyrighted. f21 didn't even change the scale of the print (which copyists do)...it's frankly just a blatant copy of the print. so while a silhouette can be copied, fold and darts and other details on a garment can be copied, it's a whole other ball of wax when it comes down to prints.

DVF is really all about the prints, basically, too, if you think about it. her wrap dresses have been copied a million times, but what makes them hers is the prints, which are her signature. and well, the fabric quality, too, but that's a whole other ball o' wax. :P

8:41 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Yeah, you know, I didn't actually check out the full articule until after I responded, and then I saw the thing about prints. I agree, it's one thing to copy a silhouette or "reinterpret" a design, but that really was a blatant rip-off. It makes sense that prints should be copyrighted--I mean, most graphic and visual designs can be, so I don't see why a clothing print shouldn't as well!

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bought that "hideous" uo shirt and absolutely love it. i've received nothing but compliments...

8:04 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Amen! I think it's adorable, too and I can't wait to get it. The girl who said that was a very conservative dresser, it seemed. I have no idea what she was doing in a UO!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home