Sunday, April 23, 2006

Mmmm, Lover. . .

I'm not sure when it was that I first heard of the Australian label Lover, but it can't have been very long ago, because they've only been around since 2004. I'm also not sure how long they've been available in this hemisphere, because they're still pretty tough to find, but if you ask me, they're worth seeking out.

Their aesthetic is cute and girly, but still very sophisticated and elegant, and I think that's a pretty damn tough balance to strike. I mean, sophistication says "serious" to me, while cute says "fun," so I'm not entirely sure how Lover clothes can simultaneously be both, but somehow, they are. They've been compared a lot to Marc Jacobs, and while that's a fair comparison, Marc Jacobs has been around for a big longer, and I think it shows. Lover's vision is, in my ever-so-humble opinion, still a little rough and unfocused. And you know what? I like it. It's unapologetically lovely and unique. It's also just a little, tiny bit new-wave, which is a look that I'm SO loving right now--I bought an old polka-dotted, pleated skirt with an elastic waistband yesterday, and I cannot wait to wear it with vintage 80's flats. But I digress. I'll be keeping my eye on Lover to see how they mature. I expect good things. Form your own opinion on them by checking them out here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home