Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Multiple (fashion) personality disorder

I can't make up my mind.

It's not that I don't know what I like. Quite the opposite, actually. Rather, it's that I can't decide who I want to be. See, I get rid of old clothes all the time (my friends love me) and get new clothes all the time (the economy loves me). One day, I'll get rid of tons of old things in cutesy cuts and colors, anything with a baby pattern, anything with too much lace or too many frills. I'll shop for things that are black and sleek, in modern, simple cuts. I'll eschew all things cute and covet all things sophisticated. Take, for example:

I almost blew a large chunk of my Christmas money on a black Diane Von Furstenburg dress a lot like the one above.

But brushing through one of my favorite cheapie catalogues, I immediately fell in love with the above sweatshirt.

Which brings me to another point. I can never really choose between quality and quantity. I can get one fabulous thing by Marc Jacobs or See by Chloe--or I can have several fun-but-disposable things from the likes of Forever 21 and H&M. So how does one choose? I wish I alwyas went for the better quality, more stylish designer piece, but a) it's hard to drop $300 as opposited to $30 in one go, even when I'll probably spend $300 in the end no matter what; b) if I get oil on my H&M top when I'm cooking, so what? If some drunk guy spills beer on my Cynthia Vincent silk sundress at a party, OH MY GOD, I will kill him; and c) sometimes, I really do fall in love with things from the cheapie places!

But even within bargain shopping, I have to debate. For example, I just bought this pair of shoes from Delia*s:

Pretty elegant, right? Kinda sophisticated, a very modern, eye-catching, look? Yeah. But my second choice was this unashamedly, unabashedly cute pair:

I mean, star cut-outs? COME ON! But they're adorable, right? And they could be a nice counterpoint to an otherwise very straightforward, unadorned outfit!

I guess it really is about counterpoints. Actually, the fact that I can't choose one distinct style or another is kind of my style. Since I buy both cute, strange, precious pieces and classic, chic, tailored pieces, I end up wearing outfits that consist of things like Marc Jacobs jeans, a black vintage sweater, and bright suede mustard-yellow heels. Take today for example:

Marc by Marc Jacobs dress, ancient, beat-up levis, Primark ruched flats. I actually rather like it, but it is a bit mixed-up. "Elegant-kitsch," if you will. Since, eventually, I'll probably have to outgrow the kitsch part, I might as well enjoy it while I can. Naw. That'll never happen. Maybe I really will get those star cut-out shoes. . .

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

cute outfit.
how come you can actually pull off skinny jeans?
when i wear them it looks like my thighs are being taken prisoner.

6:26 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Haha--thank you for the compliment! Skinny jeans are tricky no matter what you do, I think, but in my case, I guess there are a few things. First, I always buy them a size up from what I usually wear--that where, there's no unfortunate gripping anywhere. I guess it helps that I'm tall, too (though you can't really tell from the shot), and, of course, I'm wearing a dress over them . I bet you anything that buying a size up would help you wear skinny jeans, but when all else fails, anyone, ANYONE, can wear them with a dress. Foolproof trick.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

that sweatshirt is beyond hideous, that marc by marc jacobs dress is gorgeoussss

8:21 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Uh, well, thanks for the compliment on my dress I suppose, but I actually think that the sweatshirt is cute. Cutesy, even, but I think that the clashing bright pastels are actually a very happy-looking combination.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i absolutely feel your pain. i'm the exact same way about clothes. i love yer site lady, and have linked it to mine. check it out and link back if yer so inclined. thanks!

www.stylesightings.com

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love LOVE the Delia's shoes. I agree, I always wear my skinny jeans with Dresses, def masks the thighs..at least in my mind. My best fitting skinny jeans are ones I made from a great fitting old stretch boot cut jean. Just sew down from the knee, So easy!

8:01 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Ashley--loved the site, happily linked back :)

Country Girl--I'm totally envious! I sooo wish I could sew! It seems like that's a really good way to go with clothing that's difficult to wear: tailor it yourself!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home