Monday, April 30, 2007

Yet another reason that I'm moving to England (eventually)

I do adore shoes. I've never considered myself specifically a shoe person, but other people certainly do--my freshman year roomate forbade me from buying any more shoes sometime in March of our freshman year (and I don't blame her--they were taking over the room), a good friend of mine once christened me "Imelda," and one day in rehearsal, when our director mentioned a former student who had 200+ pairs of shoes, amidst shocked cries of "excess!" and the like, one voice rang out, "How many pairs of shoes do you have again, [Principessa]?" Ouch.

So, I've tried to cut back on the shoes. It hasn't been too difficult. Were I back in London, however, I might be having worse problems. Topshop, Office, and Faith were all frequent indulgences for me, and now, I'm regretting having missed Terra Plana. Terra Plana is a sustainable, innovative shoe company that tries to be ethical in all levels of production, and uses completely earth-friendly materials in its production (think recycled material, chemical-free, etc.) Furthermore, their shoes are awesome. The pictured pump reminds me of Marc Jacobs petal-heel shoes, but more creative (sorry, Marc!). The flat makes me think that I just might need another pair of black flats. Plus, it's just awesome that, through buying shoes, you can help save the planet.

But then, the fact that they don't seem to be available stateside is saving my wallet.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's move together. british shoe glory will be ours.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoes are awesome! I am thirteen, and in the last two months, I've aquired five pairs of white shoes, About ten other pairs, and my latest ones are creme pointy toed flats from Joe Fresh style. Shoes are the best, you can never have too many, and Imelda is the perfect nickname for gals like us!

12:04 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Ashley--let's do it! Can we find a flat in south kensington? I miss living there like whoa. . . oh, London. Oh, shoes.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Tru said...

cool post

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terra plana shoes ARE available in the US. Even on zappos. just google the words.

I have a pair that I bought in Oakland, CA at TwentyTwo shoes and they are super comfy & cute (and eco friendly as you said)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sigrún Guðmundsdóttir said...

These remind me a little bit of Camper Shoes.

Shoes are great.
Nice blog.

7:06 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Kimchi--AWESOME! Thank you!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely understand. It seems that Britain does have heaps better shoes than anywhere else and even more so a greater range of shoes with a lot of diversity. All the shoes in Australia are the same. It's boring me.

PS Thanks for your comment. You should totally come to Australia, I'd have someone to go thrifting with.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home