Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fashionably Green

I have no time. But I would never let earth day pass me by without a blog entry about sustainable and ethical fashion. So, a quick overview of the delightfully responsible and ethical:

Converse All-Stars: so stylish, so vegetarian. Raising animals for slaughter has a hugely negative environmental impact. The fewer animal products you consume, the smaller your environmental impact will be. Plus, the fabulous above slip-ons are made with hemp, which is pretty damn sustainable as textiles go. The awesome texture is a bonus.

American Apparel is doing an organic cotton line. The quantity of pesticides that gets used on conventional cotton crops is shocking. Organic cotton is, well, organic, and doesn't use any environmentally damaging pesticides. Plus, American Apparel is sexy.

Also in the organic cotton vein are sexy Del Forte jeans.

Edun, another Bono creation, is a line of clothing that isn't always made with organic cotton, but they do always have an eye toward environmental impact. They're also ethically produced--I need to be doing Shakespeare, so I can't fill you on the the details. Google it. Or, just look at the pretty dress.


Loomstate is one of my favorite brands of all time. They do use all organic cotton, and all of their designs are simple, unassuming, original, and gorgeous. Their jeans are amazing, but be sure to check out their beautifully printed tees.

And, of course, when you want to shop ethically, there's always Thrifting!

Happy Earth Day! Maybe I won't work on my projects, as a form of protest against the mindless and gratuitous consumption of trees in paper products. . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's Canadian, but if it's on the stands there, buy a copy of LOULOU. It's a whole green issue. If I had some money- slow season of babysitting- I'd buy me a pair.

9:12 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Oooh, I've actually never seen a Canadian fashion magazine! I'm obsessed with international fashion mags, too--I've actually tracked down Dutch and Irish magazines (those have been the biggest challenege). Strange that it should be so tough to find Canadian ones!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love loomstate and am excited to see H&M's organic line. It's so nice to see green/organic fashion in the headlines of many mags today, I hope it's just not a whole fad/earth day thing.

6:20 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Oh, I know, I can't WAIT to H&M's organic line! I have a feeling that this isn't just a fad--after all, it's a big commitment for companies to make, and I don' think they'd spend the money for something that's going to flash and be out in no time flat. I guess people will vote with their pocketbooks, but anyone who's actually bought anything from Loomstate will happily do so again!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home