Wednesday, April 18, 2007

And finally. . . without further ado. . . THE THRIFT SCORE CHALLENGE!

My, my. Was it really so long ago that I first announced and solicited photos for the Thrift Score Challenge? It was, it was ages ago, and I do apologize for the delay (blame my academic schedule). Still, I appreciate everyone's submissions more than I can say, and now, it's time to share them!

First, we have a written submission. Lauren writes: "I got an adorable pair of 1970's mens wear pants at a thrift store called the Cat's Eye, and they were $2.oo. Can you believe that? Anyway, I am obsessed with them. They are brown tweed with a silver clasp thingy where the button should be, and they are soooooo comfy! Nothing good has happened in them yet, although I've gotten many compliments!" Well, here's to hoping that something good happens in them soon!

Next, it seems only right that the first picture I post should be from Bits and Bobbins whose blog and Wardrobe Remix Flickr Group were part of the inspiration for this challenge in the first place. Like me, she found it tough to choose just a few favorites, but she rose to the challenge. Regarding her favorite (recent) thrift score, she writes, "around the winter holidays, my husband and i usually travel back to florida, where both of our parents live. my husband's parents reside in jacksonville, florida, where my husband and i also lived for a couple years in the early '00s. whenever we go back for a visit, i thrift like a madwoman. the thrifting in florida is the best i've ever experienced, hands down. lots of vintage abounds, especially in the past when thrifting wasn't as trendy as it is today, because many old folks retire and die down there and leave much behind in their wake. many of my favorite pieces have been found in florida. i found this tiny little acid wash jacket on one of those holiday visits, i think it was 2005. it's a children's size, but the armholes and back fit me perfectly. it cost about $4 or so, i believe. i wear it like a little bolero, and i have found it goes with EVERYTHING. it was, hands down, the most worn item in my closet in 2006." I wonder if it will hold the same place of honor in 2007. . . I wouldn't be surprised if it did, because it's adorable!

Next, regarding this fabulous tote bag, she writes "this handmade needlepoint tote is one of my favorite finds ever...up there with the best. this one was also found on a trip to jacksonville, florida, to visit my husband's parents, probably in 2005. i had been thrifting all over town over a couple of days, collecting about 10 bags worth of finds. it was pretty sick! toward the end of the visit, i decided to go back to one of my favorite thrifts, very close to my in-law's house, for one last look. i rooted through the purses and totes, and unearthed this gem. i don't use it all the time anymore lest i wear it out, but i love it because of it's patchworky aspects, it's handmade feel, it's mix of riotous colors. it is ME and my fashion philosophy expressed in the form of a purse."

I can't even imagine what my fashion philosophy in a purse would look like. . . but maybe I'll find it sometime in a thrift shop! Next, we have submissions from KF of Life in Neon. He had so many things that I had to edit his selections down so that this post isn't as long as my Shakespeare final will be. First off, we have some most fantastic sunglasses that I honestly wish I had found first:

So shiny and unique! Next up is a peacoat that fits him damn perfectly and looks more like Marc Jacobs than a thrift shop score. I'm especially digging that massive collar:

And finally, a black denim guess jacket. How is it that a black denim jacket can simultaneously be so 80's and so now? One way or another, I love it.

Next up is Brittany, fashion student AND blogger of Memories Into Oblivion. Lucky Californian (I miss the sun soooo much out here in the Northeast!) that is she, her first submission is a beach cover up. She writes, "The dress is awesome because I wear it to the beach all the time. It's like just below the butt so it's perfect, and last summer, I think it was in style." Still looks stylish to me:

Next--and this is so cute that I'm almost squealing--a band sweater! She writes, "The band sweater was "thrifted" from my dad's closet. It was his middle school band sweater. awww! It doesn't really fit anymore, but I waer it to make him happy, and I love the emblem." Seriously, this makes me wish that I had been a band nerd in highschool:

Lastly, like KF, she has a fabulous pair of sunglasses, regarding which she writes, "The sunglasses are big and bold. Love em, just got em the other day actually." I love 'em too:

Then, from S. of Do This Don't. . . a whole lot of things. Once again, for the sake of length, I had to edit down a bit, but they were tough calls to make. These shoes are beyond awesome. I LOVE the diagonal strap. She writes, "I usually have great luck with shoes. These Mary Jane's are the most recent. I think they've never been worn."

Next up, regarding this gorgeous green dress (which actually looks a lot like a shopbop dress that I posted recently. . . lucky!), she writes, "This dress is the most lovely dress in the world. Very feminine and kinda 1940's. I'll wear with thrifted peep toes."

Lastly, some people really do have all the luck. About these last shoes, she writes, "I had wanted a pair of yellow patent pumps and there they were!" And here they are:

Finally. . . me! I agonized for ages over what to post, but I finally narrowed it down to two things. One is a thing that gets a lot of play in my wardrobe, another was just a complete shock to find at a thrift store. These mauve-y pumps are such a soft, easy neutral color that they go with everything--which is pretty nice, considering that they were $4. The swirly decorations on the front are actually detachable shoe clips(!), but I like them so much that I never take them off. These go with everything: dresses, pencil skirts, skinny jeans. . . I'm strongly considering wearing them to a concert Saturday night, but what would I do if one of the clips got lost in the craziness? DIE, probably!

Lastly, this amazing little printed shift dress is kind of difficult to see in the picture, but it's a dark blue silky fabric with a huge, bright red poppy print. It was--are you ready?--$1. No joke! It was right there are my local Salvation Army, out on the rack with the rest of the dresses. Now, most of the dresses there are, I believe $5. That includes ugly little shapeless corduroy shifts from the 90's, plaid schoolteacher jumpers, long, slumpy sweaterdresses, etc. Somehow, wonderfully, unbelieveably, miraculously, this little beauty rang up as $1! I rarely get to wear it now--it's a bit formal--but when I was living the swingin' London life, I actually got to wear it quite a bit. It's gorgeous with black tights (and yes. . . the shoes in the picture of the very same vintage yellow pumps that are getting so much air time in my blog right now).

Once again, thanks to all contributors! Thrifting is fun, and a fantastic way to shop ethically and find unique clothes. Missed out this time around? Anyone who wishes they had participated too, or anyone who did contribute and now has new thrifted finds to show off, can go ahead and email thrifted finds (with the heading "Thrift Score Challenge") to principessdeipazzi@hotmail.com. If I get enough submissions, I'll do a second round. For now, happy thrifting to all!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, better late than never! thanks for showing off my stuff! hehe!

i also really adore seeing what other people thrift and love...i covet KF's black denim jacket! i've been looking for one for ages (in the thrifts of course!)...hah!

8:01 AM  
Blogger M said...

What a great post! My favorites are the two denim jackets. And KF looks awesome in those sunglasses.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Brittany said...

wow, I love KF's peacoat and S.'s mary janes

11:44 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

I love/want absolutely everything everyone found... all of you who contributed have a great eye for thrifting! If you're ever in the New York City area, we must go thrifting together.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the maryjanes and your dress! it's beautiful! Visit my blog, and tanks for quoting me and linking me- maybe I'll get a few more readers...

4:04 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I love those mauve shoes. Details like shoe clips are THE reason to thrift.

And of course, I have a special weakness for your yellow pumps.

You've got me wanting to shop!

Cheers

4:15 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Lauren--thanks for the compliment about the dress! It's really lovely in person :)

S.--I'm actually rather fond of your pumps as well! I'm crazy about all things patent.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm sorry I missed this. Even though I like to think of myself as a thrift store queen, Tricia's finds put me to shame.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm guessing that y'all go to other places that's not exactly goodwill cause the few times that i've been there i never find anything. Not to mention that their t-shirt prices at least where i live are almost the same as if i would be purchasing them from Ross or Marshalls.
Another thing, i was always questioning whether to buy second hand shoes cause lets face it some people may have some bacteria and stuff. I have heard that they sell some things to clean the shoes but i can't recall their name.

9:20 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Ambika--you can still contribute! I'll do a round II!

And Vanessa, I totally understand your feelings about shoes, but thrift stores are legally obliged to clean them before selling them. You know, to prevent headlines like "Outbreak of foot botullism has been traced back to Salvation Army. . . can thrift charity handle class action lawsuit?" etc.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah dude... i'm sorry i missed this too! what a fun post! my faves are the vintage sunglasses, and the acid wash denim jacket! great post!

2:22 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Seriously, kiddos. . . send me more thrifted goods, and I'll do a round II!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

WHY DIDNT I KNOW ABOUT THIS?
are you doing another one?
i will totally submit, i have some pretty funky stuff if i do say so myself. god that sounded braggy. but it all cost like no money so it's not like im saying "ooh i'm so rich and fancy with my fab clothes.:

7:45 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Apparently, people don't read comments (or final paragraphs of entries)--if people send me more pictures and I get enough, I'll happily do another entry on it.

Oh hell, I'll just make a post.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home