Monday, April 09, 2007

Another designer collaboration. . . ho-hum. . .

Yeah, everyone's writing about it, everyone's reading about it, everyone's blogging it, even the New York Times has an article. Yet another collaboration. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the idea of getting designer clothing at an accesible price, I'm wild about the fact that you know longer have to be the American aristocracy to get something well-designed, but isn't it getting a bit. . . old? It was neato when H&M got the ball rolling on the collaboration thing. Hell, I STILL wish I had made it in time for Stella McCartney! And Target? Awesome. Somehow, the designs really always do come out looking perfectly wearable, yet still fashiony.

But haven't we jumped the shark? I mean, since when is Kate Moss a designer? I guess I would wear those vests, and maybe a few of the dresses as well, but I'm not finding it extraordinary in the same vein, as, say, Proenza Scouler for Target (though Behnaz was a drag--and I'm still seriously hoping that Libertine will be awesome). Designer collaborations have become so commonplace, and in some cases, just plain common in design, that they're just not exciting any more.

Gap is the last place that I would have expected to collaborate. However, I have to say, they're actually giving me a sliver of hope. It's awesome that they chose Rodarte, Thakoon, and Doo.Ri. Count me in for that shirt dress, if it looks as good as it sounds. . . but, as my advisor would say, "The proof [will be] in the pudding."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in the Gap Collabs as well but read in WWD that the names of the designers won't actually be on the pieces since they will still be carrying the gap label. Instead the designers will be featured in ads, commercials, etc. As a buyer, I could care less about names/labels but as an aspiring designer, I want all my work signed (and known). I wonder how they feel?

6:34 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

the gap collaborations sound good to me, as i love rodarte beyond all sensibility, but kate moss? i totally agree. the woman should stick to cocaine and cover shoots. was that a bit mean? probably, but she really annoys me.

6:46 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Countrygirl, I hadn't thought of it that way--you're right, considering that, for the designers, collaborations benefit them mostly in putting their names out. Huh.

Emma--haha. I agree.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home