Thursday, April 12, 2007

The skinny jeans debate

The skinny jeans debate has been happening since the advent of skinny jeans. In the beginning, I myself doubted their necessity. However, I soon realized that none of last fall's best tops really looked right with bootcut jeans, and I was converted by a really well-cut pair of skinnies. But alas, with the advent of wide-leg jeans, the debate has taken on a new vigor. Why, just last night in the dressing room, the debate became a rather heated one:

I: Skinny jeans just, like . . . don't flatter me.
C: Skinny jeans don't flatter anyone!
I: Yeah, they're tough.
C: I have no idea why anyone thinks they look good!
R: Because they show just how skinny anorexic models are.
C: Yeah, but they look bad on real people.
Me: Hey! I like them!

*Awkward silence*

Me: (continuing, unabashed) I've worked hard for my legs to look as good as they do, and I'm not ashamed to show the fact that they're muscular. So, I like skinny jeans a lot.

*Awkward silence* *Someone changes the subject*

It's worth noting that no one in that dressing room, save I (different from me--I'm using friends' initials to protect their privacy or something silly like that), who didn't say that she doesn't like skinny jeans, is a particularly stylish person. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely people, they just don't care/haven't completely figured out what works for them.

I should also note that I'm not super-skinny. I am a ballet dancer (hence the comment about working hard on my legs--everyone who goes to school with me knows that I take ballet all the time), and I do have long legs, but I also have hips and thighs. But hell, why would I be ashamed of them? I love my skinny jeans, I'm not a trend whore, and just because the haters are now promoting body-enveloping wide leg jeans, I'm not about to give my skinnies up. Still, I turn it over to my readers to voice their opinions:


Do you still wear your skinny jeans?
Yes! I still love them, and they still look hot!
No! I feel like they're going out, and I like to be ahead of the curve.
No-I never wore them in the first place.
No-I'm a guy.
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com



PS--Why yes, that IS acid wash denim in the picture. I figure that if I'm going to be controversial about one thing, I have the room to go all the way with it.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, i still wear mine. i just recently made a post about skinnies/straight legs and how they flatter me better than wide legs...and how knowing what works for you, despite the prevailing trend wind, is always a smarter, more stylish move (in my sometimes unhumble opinion)...

http://bitsandbobbins.com/journal/2007/04/08/472007-dressing-for-your-figure-not-the-fad/

i actually HAVE the jeans in the picture of this post...and i LOVE them, other people's opinions be damned. :P i'm actually wearing them in the photo in the post i linked. i'd rather be "out of style" and wearing something that fits my body and flatters it than wearing something that's "in style" at the moment and looking like a trend-addict. but again, that's just me. :P

p.s. not sure if your poll is working...at least, it didn't work for me.

12:06 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Ooh, thanks for letting me know about the poll. . . it seems to be functioning on some level or another, since it's counting votes, but I'll get on the host and see if I can do something about it.

It's so funny that you have those jeans! I think that my friend A. either has them, or has a pair that looks just like them, and she always looks fantastic in them. I'm tempted to borrow them from her.

And I completely agree that it's most important to dress to flatter yourself--or dress is what you personally feel looks good on you. A friend of mine who hates skinny jeans with a passion once had no problem in letting me know that I looked "hippy" in them. Personally, I'm not ashamed to let the world know I have hips, even if it's not quite to the moment's tastes! I'd rather please myself than everyone else.

12:25 PM  
Blogger M said...

What I really love about the skinny jeans is how they showcase cute shoes. And of course for tucking into boots. I have short legs AND hips and I think wearing a shoe with a bit of height (even just very low wedges that are almost flats) helps a lot. I agree that having a pair that isn't skin tight (going up a size like you said in your other post) helps them to be flattering too.

I'd like to try the wide-legged jeans/pants with a high waist but since I'm short I'm not sure if that will go over very well. Maybe the high waist will help. I have yet to try a pair on.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love ballet, my cousin quit a few years ago and wants me to start so she can live through me, haha. I hated skinny jeans until last April, when I found a vintage pair at my fave thrift shop. Now I own a dressy pair, a blackish-grayish pair, and a faded pair. I hate the way boho tops look with bootcuts, so I wear my skinnies about four times a week. Wide
legged pants are awesome, but I hate the way they look on my small frame. I love the fact that I am short and rather skinny, I love who I am, but making me look like a six year old in her mother's makeup (you get my drift) isn't my idea of a good time. I prefer the way I look in skinny jeans. They show off the nice curve in my hips and my muscular legs. (Thanks, karate).
Speaking of karate, that's where I met Kory. I'm hanging out with him on Monday night after karate. Excuted, not nervous. I'm not going to freak out this time. EEEEEE!
Oh, and the pool seemed to work fine for me.

4:11 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Merideth, you're so right about the shoes! Especially heels--skinny jeans and heels can transform you into a femme fatale right away!

Lauren, good luck on your date! Have fun at karate too, I'm sure it's awesome.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choices for the poll. And good for you for speaking up.

3:32 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

hi Ambika, I've seen/love your blog, but I worry that it might be bugged--whenever I try to comment, as soon as I type something into the box, it takes me to a different website--some blog directory :( Just thought you might want to know!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still wear mine they aren't in fashion meaning its not just another trend. all the sixties stuff is coming back though but anyways, i suppose it just depends on what you wear ith them but there really isn't alot you can wear with it to be honest but you get the right top and shoes nd maybe a jumper it can make you look right gorgeous like.

and as for part of the blog where it says

"i dont't wear skinny fits-im a guy"

thats a bunch of rubbish i've seen plenty of guys wearing skinnies take norwich for instants they make it look hot any one can wear them as long as

1:you feel comfortable &

2:you know what you should and shouldn't wear with it

11:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it really is just a matter of comfort. It's best to just wear the jeans that you feel the most comfortable in.

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home