Monday, April 16, 2007

Admitting defeat? Naw.

A few days ago, after this post, where I said that most blondes can't wear a lot of yellows, someone posted a comment saying I was "so wrong." I disagreed--I didn't say that no blondes can wear any yellow, I said that most blondes can't wear most yellows. And, speaking as a blonde that can't wear most yellows, I maintain that I'm right.

Still, it's one of life's cruel ironies that I've been falling in love with yellow clothes lately. First there was the banana dress. Then, I posted about my amazing vintage shoes, pictured below. Now, I'll specify and say that I've never felt that blondes can't wear yellow shoes--so little yellow so far away from your face is totally fine. In fact, I even want that shiny yellow pair of patent pumps. They would SO make a neutral outfit pop!


But it goes further. . . now, I'm even lusting after this dolman t-shirt from Delia*s. It's not solid yellow like the dress that I can't have, but still, it's a lot of yellow, close to my face, even. . . good thing I can't try it on. If I had a Delia*s store nearby and I could try it, I'd totally buy it if it worked!


PS--regarding those cute little thrifted yellow pumps. . . results from the not-yet-forgotten Thrift Score Challenge are on their way!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wear yellow all the time, i'm blonde..looking bad be damned! (haha, is that my philosophy on everything? probably!)

gotta agree...it's all about keeping it away from the face if you think it doesn't flatter, no matter what the color is. a pop of it can be totally amazing, and actually, enough to make for a cool look. :)

12:52 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

I've never seen you look anything short of diving on Wardrobe Remix, so. . . you probably are one of the few blondes of the world who CAN pull off yellow! Especially, I think, if your hair is really pale, yellow and blonde can sometimes be ok. My hair is a really golden blonde (wonder if you can find me on WR? It's been a while since I posted, though), and most yellow makes it look brassy.

But no color should every be completely off-limits for anyone!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am also obsessed with yellow this season! it's perfect, especially for shoes.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

qozSince I don't know your name, I'll call you Lucy. If you like yellow, WEAR it! Who cares whether Stacey London and Clinton Kelley think you can pull it off or not- I saw that dress in Hawai'i, and it was beautiful. If you believe that you look nice in yellow, than it will show and everyone will comment. Just because i'm a poo-colored brunette doesn't mean I can't wear brown or beige! Wear what you want when you want. I love yellow this season, so I wear it. Buy the dress, and find a Delia's. Those peices are excellent, and petites like us can pull those shapes off if we want.
You, Lucy, of all people, should know the first rule of fashion: There are no rules.Everyone seems to forget that.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

i think it depends on what color your blonde is. but i kinda have to agree with you, it is kind of a bad color for blondes, muahahaha

6:26 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Hahaha, don't worry Lauren, I'm not enforcing "rules" of fashion--I just think that I, personally, don't look very good in yellow, no matter how good it looks on the hanger. And I can think of more than a few times that I've looked at another blonde in yellow and thought, "Hmm, should she be wearing that?" Of course, I know that if they like and are comfortable in whatever they're wearing, my opinion doesn't matter. But as far as yellow on me goes--it's something I wish I could wear more than something I wear.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

j'aime yellow.
it makes me happy.
and i do think that really fake blond people, like bad dye jobs, should steer clear of yellow because it looks tacky.
but other than that, i know a lot of natural blondes who can totally pull off yellow.
great post!

1:27 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Je l'aime aussi--mais pas tres proche a mon visage :)

And I agree about dye jobs--people who have a really brassy blonde look god-awful in yellow, but I actually think that people who are really bleachy pale blondes can pull yellow off. Strange but true.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home