Monday, April 23, 2007

So you can spend more money on booze!

Such an overwhelming response to my cocktail dress entry has prompted me to do another one. This one, however, is much kinder to the wallet, I promise. So, where do you go when you need something cute and cheap? Why, Forever21, of course! I must reiterate, it's important to get something that's not as cheap as it looks, so I've culled a few pieces that look a lot better than the bargain that they are.

This one is sweet and vintagey, admittedly a bit casual and loud for a cocktail party, but for a more casual cocktail party, I think that it could definitely be pulled off-especially if you're a broke college student (like meeeee) and most of your dressier parties are just for fun anyway.

This one is pure Femme Fatale. It's a dangerous dress, however--any mistakes in the fit would look just plain cheap. Best to go a size up in this one, and then suck in your gut all night.

Depsite the loud pattern, this one, I think, is actually more versatile than one would assume. Of course it would work for the type of rowdy, silly, drunken college cocktail party as aforementioned, but I think that the pattern is sophisticated enough that it could be legitimately formal, too. It's certainly a flattering cut, and with subtle shoes (black or nude) and tights (my preference is black, but one can always improvise), I think it would work for real cocktail parties, too.

This one is purely for a cocktail party thrown in a garden. I'd never wear it anywhere else. But, for a cocktail party thrown in a garden, isn't it perfect?

There. Now that we've only spent $30 on the dress, can we please spend more than $4 on the champagne? Does it have to be Andre again? It does? But why? Fine. I guess we'll make cheap mimosas again.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger DROVER said...

LOVE the dresses-the second is very "Devil Wears Prada".

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Arwen, but my favorite is the third one. I want it SO bad! Maybe you should send it to me. jk. Oh, and you spelled champagne wrong.

3:24 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Thanks, you two--Lena/Evil, thanks for the heads-up about champagne. Typo. I type fast. But I do consume enough champagne to know how to spell it. And I agree, the third one is colorful and fun. I probably wouldn't wear it much if I got it (I wear a lot of blue and black), but still, it's colorful and fun.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

hahahaha cheap mimosas i wish. everything alcohol wise (except for beer and wine) is expensive. i have to say, when i think of cocktail, i think of black and white.

8:02 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

See, that's funny, because I think that beer and wine should never be cheap. With cocktails, if you're using cheap booze, you can mask the taste with other ingredients. With drinks you don't mix, if it's bad, you're stuck!

And I know what you mean--it's easy to associate cocktails with old school elegance--but most cocktail parties aren't nearly so formally uptight. With most, there's wiggle room for some creativity. At least, none of the cocktail parties I've been to have been black tie.

8:21 PM  
Blogger S. said...

The florals are great. So pretty!

5:12 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

It's funny, I've always liked more geometric pattens, but lately, I've been DYING for florals!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home