Friday, March 03, 2006

Want to know a secret?


I have a confession to make. Although I am wary of the singer-actress-restaurant owner-fashion designer-media mogul trend that seems to be taking over celebritydom, I have to say, I really like what I've seen of Sweetface's show in fashion week. Sweetface, the couture line of J.Lo's brand, is pretty damn young, too, which makes it all the more impressive.

I have no idea if Jennifer Lopez is a big part of the process, or if she just attaches her name to it at the end, but one way or another, I feel like the collection has captured something of her, and it strikes a beautiful balance between urban and pretty, something that many brands have attempted, and, grit being intrinsic to urban and difficult to blend with pretty, failed. But not Sweetface! It's also simultaneously wearable and fashiony (hey, in a world where truthiness is a word, fashiony can be one too. Ok? Ok).

Look at the silhouette of the dress in the first photo. I love the idea of using silk charmeuse for something so simple and drapy, and look at how it flows, and how gorgeous it looks moving. I mean, for God's sake, she took a muumuu shape and made it sexy. Sexy, people! I'm not sure what's going on with the model's hair, but still, the dress is a winner.

This next one isn't so simple, and it's even a little odd, but still, I really like it. If you must do skinny pants, the proportions of the top are exactly right. It's loose, but it's fitted enough at the top not to make the body disappear. Also, I really kind of like the legwarmer thing that's going on at the bottom of the pants. If everyone started wearing it, it'd become ugly as hell I'm sure, but as an original concept, I'm enjoying it.

This dress is just hot. I love the dusty color, the naughty button-up slits, and the cinching at the waist gives me the suspicion that it'd work on any body.

The fashion lovechild of Christian Dior and Stella McCartney would dress like this. And yes, that is a good thing. I think that being able to mix an urban and a French sensibility is pretty damn impressive.

Ok, I saved the best for last for you guys. Just look at this. It's simple and straightforward at first glance, but please take a second one. The model isn't wearing this season's ubiquitous black tights--those are boots, people. Those are tight, over-the-thigh, high-heeled boots. Moving on to the dress. All the streetwise brilliance of a hoodie, all the sleek femininity of a dress. May I have one, please? Lastly, the coat. It looks like it's just a black trench, of which there are many on the streets of New York. Look more closely. The detailing is beautiful, but not at all overdone and annoying. And, yes, they're fashion shows, but I think a lot shows have been guilty of the overdone and annoying thing this season. But Sweetface gets three gold stars.

Ok, I'm going to go write a paper. Either that, or read Nylon. One or the other.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, do you know if Sweetface uses sweatshop labor for their clothing line? I've been trying to research it but couldn't find alot of answers. thanks.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home