Saturday, June 10, 2006

I Won't Grow Up

You know, as much as I'd love to be a hip sophisticate, some small part of me always gravitates toward fun fashion. I think it's part of why I love runway shows so much--I prefer the overblown, wild, conceptual side of fashion than the pared-down, monochromatic, structured looks that hit the racks. It's not just that, though. I love anything with a heart print. I usually prefer Marc by Marc Jacobs to Marc Jacobs, Paul and Joe Sister to Paul and Joe, and See by Chloe to Chloe (which is not to say that I dislike the more expensive lines, because that's certainly not the case). Hell, there are times when I even prefer Divided to H&M's main line. I even still get silly teen catalogs like Alloy and Delias, because they'll occasionally come out with a total gem that's not only cheap and accessible, but ridiculously fun and unique.

I think that's the main reason that I prefer designer's younger, more accessible lines. The couture lines create the look that everyone is dying for, and often, the look that will be replicated to the Nth degree. I think designers have more fun and freedom with their cheaper (pardon my honesty) lines. Even though they're more accessible, in the end, they're more unique. It goes without saying that they're easier to wear (even if it it just the fact that you're not worrying that someone might spill beer on your $1300 silk top).

Let's have a little compare and contrast, starting with Chloe and See by Chloe



The Chloe top is delicate, lovely, sophisticated, and formal. The See by Chloe top (right, if you didn't guess) is fun, gorgeous, daring, wearable with jeans or a silk skirt, and just plain visually interesting.

Next up is Marc Jacobs vs. Marc by Marc Jacobs (though a quick disclaimer--I LOVE anything created by Marc Jacobs):



The Marc Jacobs skirt is beautiful, but the Marc by Marc Jacobs dress is just more interesting. I hate to distill is down to something so simple, but I feel like it's true.

In the end, as much as I love high fashion, there's something that's just a little cold and sterile about it sometimes. It's made for the elite, and it looks like it. It looks untouchable, unwearable, unfeeling. More accessible, yes, less sophisticated clothing, however, looks like it's made for whoever wants to wear it, rather than just the aristocracy.

But don't get me wrong, Gucci and Prada have their place. I'd probably appreciate said place more if I could afford it.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Principessa said...

In my opinion, it's almost completely the newer, younger designers that push fashion forward. I'm so upset that I'm going to miss the new season of Project Runway. Argh.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home