Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A bit more social responsibility

You know, my posts used to have an environmental, sustainable, or ethical bent all the time, and lately, those posts have tapered off, and I apologize to all of my readers who look for that. Actually, I apologize to everyone, because I think we all need more exposure to the slightly less superficial side of fashion. So, what happened to my interest in socially responsible clothing? Nothing happened to my interest, but part of the reason that my posting on it has diminished is that I'm trying to lessen my environmental impact by simply buying less clothing. I'm doing pretty well, too--this year, all I've purchased is a skirt, a tank top, and a dress, and I've donated more than that to charity (please note that I donate old clothing rather than throw it away).

One of the best ways to lessen your environmental impact in terms of clothing is just not to get things that you don't need. An ironic thing to read in a fashion blog, I know. Sometimes, however, you do need (or just want) new clothes, and it doesn't have to be detrimental to get them Thrifting is probably the most environmentally and socially responsible way to do that, because it doesn't involve any new clothing production, and proceeds often go to good causes. American Apparel is another awesome choice. They have an eye toward sustainability, but they're also very ethical--probably the most ethical large-scale clothing business in the USA right now--and produce all of their items in the US, paying a fair salary and giving good benefits to their employees. Plus, they crank out some pretty cute stuff. I'm really liking the two dresses pictured. Boatnecks are always flattering, and I love the trapeze-ish shape of the first dress. Also, can you imagine how easy dressing on a cold day must be with the second dress? Pull it on (over a pair of skinny jeans, and with some cute shoes), and you're not only ready to go, but warm to boot. I linked American Apparel's website in this post, but they'll always be a mere click away on my link list to the right as well.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000K976WG.01-A3A8UX4Z9R2EJG._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V44309295_.jpg

is this dress cute to any extent or is it just completely hideous?

7:04 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Really cute, I think. I like the delicacy, and nude is the best non-color that there is.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

i too, think that dress is adorable

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay! thanks! i love the dress too but my friends don't seem to agree. i love reading your blog though & i def. value your opinion more than theirs... haha.

12:52 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Why, thank you! I'm flattered, and I'm sure that you can rock that dress if you like it. I know I do.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home