Thursday, March 16, 2006

Opinions, please!

Hmm. I can't decide if I like the new Jane or not. The new editor really has changed it, and it just kind of makes sense that Jane can't be Jane without Jane (Pratt. As editor). On the other hand, they're really trying to keep it a realistic, accessible, fun young woman's magazine. On the other (third?) hand, they're trying awfully hard. They make a specific effort to be all alternative-y, and the layout is pretty cluttered. If you're going to do a pastiche of culture, pop-culture, beauty, style, and current events, do it your own way, don't try to be Nylon (I love Nylon).

Also, even though a lot of the staff has stayed one, a good bit of it has changed, too. What will Jane be without Mitzi's dating columns? I miss her wry sense of humor already. I guess, though, that even though they still got rid of Sciascia Gambini (BIG mistake), the fashion section is still pretty good. But it's just not the same.

Well, I suppose that only time will tell whether or not it's still good. I'll probably buy the April issue (despite the unfortunately appearance of Ashlee Simpson on the cover) and further develop my already intricate opinion. In the meantime, though, if people wanted to email me or leave a comment and say what they think, that'd be kind of cool. Or not. 'Cause I know that everyone's busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home