Friday, July 07, 2006

Video Podcasts = love

The one advantage of being sick (an advantage of being sick? WHAT?) is that I have to lie around all day. I'm a ballet dancer, so on some level, this sucks a whole lot too, but resting is not sometihng I get to do very often in my day-to-day life. Obviously, I spend a lot of time sleeping, but when I'm not sleeping, it's up to the internet to amuse me. Now, I really do hope that people like my podcast, but I must say, I LOVE ModTV's Video podcast on runway shows. It's fabulous, with backstage footage and interviews as well as runway footage. One episode reminded me of just how much I love Anna Sui. Anything with Marc Jacobs (ie, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc, or Louis Vuitton) is fabulous, not only because the design and the vision are gorgeous, but because he's so damn articulate that the interviews are really, really interesting. I didn't realize that Zac Posen's spring collection was quite so delicate and gorgeous before seeing the podcast on it. I remember the lovely colorful dresses, but I didn't fully absorb the grecian ballerina look. It's really fabulous to hear designer's ideas about their clothes, too. Sometimes, they're quite unexpected.

Also, It's interesting to see footage, rather than pictures, of models on the catwalk. I was getting pretty tired of seeing Gemma Ward EVERYWHERE (I mean, yes, she's adorable, but for God's sake, does she have to be in EVERY show and EVERY magazine?), but after seeing her footage, I have to admit, there's a certain grace about her. She's also strangely appropriate in a lot of shows, from Michael Kors to Anna Sui, even though they're polar opposites. Of course, I don't mean to say that the sun rises and sets on Gemma Ward. There are tons of other talented models. Snejana is downright striking. She has that other-worldly quality that's so popular right now, but she's also really, genuinely beautiful. She doesn't need to look strange to be gorgeous. Still, I think Lily Cole is definitely my favorite model. I've never been interested enough to make an effort to have a favorite model, but there you have it, it's Lily Cole. She just stands out to me in a way that other models don't. I don't know if it's her romantic painting-esque looks or her gorgeous red hair, or just her je-ne-sais-quoi, but I think she's one of the best contemporary models.

That is all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think of Repetto flats?

8:09 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

This is a really funny question, because not four days ago (back when I was happy and my summer was going as planned), I was in Paris' Repetto store, and EVERYTHING was on sale. Actually, what interested me most was their still-extensive selection of pointe shoes, since I don't think they make them any more, but I didn't buy any, because I'm not sure I like carbon fiber shanks.

Ok, but back to the fashion world and what you're undoubtedly asking about, I LOVE Repetto shoes, because they're beautifully and comfortably constructed. They're as flattering as dance shoes, but they're really practical, functional street shoes, too. Of course, the periwinkle lace-up pair that I fell in love with was only available in a 36 or a 41, but the fact remains that they're lovely shoes.

By the way, love the blog.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home