Sunday, October 22, 2006

None for me, thanks

You know, the advertising that the fur industry is putting out is awfully aggressive this year. That’s probably actually a good thing, because if they’re advertising extra-hard and spending more money on it than usual, it probably means that business is down. The ads I’ve seen are all ridiculously stupid and self-conscious, so I doubt consumers will bite for them, but I’m actually wondering if they’re paying enough for advertising that magazines are giving entire spreads to fur, as is customary to do with really big advertisers. Now, the fur industry might not know how to make a sexy add, but Elle knows how to put together a fashion spread. That’s the worrisome part. And you know, I gotta say, I just don’t get the allure of fur. It doesn’t look any better than faux fur, it’s more expensive, and deep down, you know that something died without cause to make it. The ironic thing is that enough fur was produced before we had an awareness about endangered species, etc. (and, frankly, before fake fur looked any good), that there’s actually quite enough vintage fur to go around. I think it’s kind of creepy to wear fur, but vintage fur has been dead for a long time, and now amount of animal rights activism is going to bring it back to life or stop fur production from 50 years ago, so boycotting vintage fur is a bit of a moot point.

New fur, however, is different. And no matter how ubiquitous the advertising gets, I’ll pass.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you that you don't like fur. There's a wealthy girl who has a blog and she flaunts fur as if it was ok. She justifies it by saying that it has been used for many years ( you know how supposedly cave man wore it and junk). I don't see the point of wearing a dead animal when there's perfectly fake fur out there if you feel so tempted to buy it.

11:23 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

My sentiments exactly :)

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you said. I can't handle fur. The few times I've caved and tried something on, I get completely freaked out. It's just too real.

8:51 PM  
Blogger S. said...

I like fur in limited quantities. I have some vintage fur trimmed items. The only times I object to fur is when it doesn't work aesthetically.

I have no moral objections. Wearing a dead animal is gross if you really want to focus on it, by that logic, leather is wrong. Then, the most repugant must be meat since it's consumed.

It's amusing how fur is targeted but not meat and leather. It's all the same as far as I'm concerned.

12:30 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

You make an interesting arguement. I prefer not to proseletyze with my blog (I can't resist occasionally), but I actually don't eat meat at all. I consider leather a by-product of the meat industry that would otherwise be wasted, so even though I generally avoid leather, I do buy it occasionally, though.

Still though, even for those who do eat meat, fur is considerably more wasteful than meat or leather, because the flesh isn't consumed, and the animals are killed for purely aesthetic reasons.

Just something to think about.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home