Friday, March 16, 2007

Consumerism, Round II

I like to start entries with some sort of amusing witticism, but I'm anxious to get to the point of this entry and post some pretty pictures, so, without further ado, here are my mostly unnecessary purchases from yesterday and the day before.

On Wednesday, I was going to go look at some clothing that I was debating about. but as soon as I got to the first zoo (H&M on fifth avenue), I remembered that, if you want to score at overwrought cheap-chic places, you have to act fast, and act fast, I did. I can't post pictures of my H&M purchases, but I got a pretty-yet-sophisticated black barette, and an absolutely gorgeous off-white dress. It has a row of buttons down the front, poet sleeves, and a full skirt. It's a little much for day to day, but then, that's never stopped me. I love it. Damn good thing that I love it, too, because I had to go to three different H&Ms before I found my size. I also got a new pair of grey skinny jeans, because the ones I got for fall (from a catalogue, of course), are just plain uncomfortable. These ones are very comfortable, but I had to get a size or two too big so that they would be long enough. Such is the life for girls with long legs. Fortunately, they're stretchy, so since they're meant to be tight, they don't fall down much on me.

Next, it was off to Forever 21. I wanted to find a top with some green to wear on St. Patrick's day, but even though I tried on four different tops, none of them really seemed worth it. That's pretty sad, when you consider that Forever 21 tops cost $20. It wasn't a wash, though, because I found this gorgeous square necked blouse. It's incredibly flattering, it's comfortable, and it doesn't look cheap! If I get pinched on Saturday, so be it.

Thursday, I started my day with a thrilling eye appointment. I got my pupils dilated, and then felt sick from wandering around NYC for six hours with blurry vision and uncomfortable light sensitivity. It wasn't a good day for shopping, so I went to the Strand to see if I could find some reading material. I did, but I didn't find what I wanted used (I was in a Michael Chabon/ Danzy Senna mood), so I got Secrets of the Model Dorm by Amanda Kerlin instead. I know, I know, I could do a lot better in the way of literature than that, but it is my break, and I can indulge a little. Thusfar, it's not brilliantly-written, but it is kind of fun. It's good in a guilty pleasure way. Oh, and the eye appointment? I can't wear my contacts all the time now. Kind of a bummer, but I can still wear them 90% of the time, and plus, I found a pair of Prada frames that I might not actually mind wearing. I'm not sure they're exactly the ones at right, but they're pretty damn close.

Finally, I bought this a few days ago, and I know I mentioned it earlier, but the Rasputina CD that I just got is awesome. Seriously. It's fantasticallly amazing. It's called Thanks for the Ether, and anyone who likes sort of trippy alternative folk rock with a lot of layers and amazing musicality should get it. That's an order.

I don't need tooooo much more spring clothing at this point, so I don't know that I'll go shopping more than once more. Still, I still want some sailor pants, a pinstriped vest (that may be a bit specific, though), wedge sandals, bright skinny pants, and a dress, so stay tuned for more.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

damn you and your long legs. i wish i had that problem (although im sure its tough)

5:44 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Haha--I know it can seem like a strange thing to bitch about, but believe it or not, it really can make shopping hard. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't actually change it to make shopping easier--but still. Finding jeans is tough.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haven't stopped by your blog due to life getting busier but i browsed over old entries, and i actually had that open toe wedge that you mention in my hands around x-mas time. I had to return it cause the shoe wound up being a bit too big. I was really sad to return it and the smaller sizes were all gone. I've seen jason's brand at walgreens but haven't gotten around to buying any of their products.
Also definitely try wearing sunblock everyday, no matter the price, trust me your skin will thank you later.

6:38 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Yeah, I really should start with the sunscreen. I know, I know. I just feel like it takes me so long to get reading already. . . but you're right. I should be good.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home