Friday, May 19, 2006

What I like

You know, it occurs to me that in this blog, I react to a lot of things I see or hear about in the fashion world, but I don't really talk about my own tastes much (save for the fact that I'm an environmentalist who likes babydoll dresses). So, if any of you look at me as a woman of mystery (ha), and are wondering what I'm like, here are some clues, in terms of the things that I really like:

1. High necklines and low backlines: I'm actually wearing a mini dress like this right now (going out with friends in about 15 minutes), and I think it's MUCH sexier than it would be if the lines were reversed and I was showing a lot of cleavage. Ok, so maybe I like this because I don't actually have cleavage. Still, subtlety is sexy.

2. Headbands: I wore a headband a few days ago for an Alice in Wonderland themed party, and I'm officially hooked. I wore one just to look like Alice (which is appropriate, since the Brits call them Alice bands), but I realized how cute they are, what an easy accessory they are, how much they can tie your look together, AND how they can keep your hair out of your face when it's down, and now I can't envision life pre-headband. Which is funny, considering that life pre-headband was like, a week ago.

3. Dark but sheer lipgloss: No explanation for this one. I've liked dark, sheer lip treatments (because I like lipstick too) since seventh grade. I think they're just sublime. My top picks are Clinique's Black Honey (which I think is a top pick of most women in the US), L'occitane's blackberry lip balm, and, I admit, Bonnebell's Vita Gloss 2 O in plum. Hey, it's cheap, easy to find, smells good, and looks really, really pretty. No shame.

4. Stickers: another new one. I got a new pair of black Converse Chuck Taylors recently because mine are quite literally falling apart, but I wanted to keep my old ones because I'm a theatre kid, and it's good to have something to wear for painting sets or striking. I was at a craft store looking for some glue to hold them together, and I found some floral heart-shaped stickers that are so precious and sweet that they're almost cloying, but they're still mostly just cute. I put some of them on the shoes for good measure (beat-up converses and victorian-style stickers are a surprisingly good match), and now, they've found their way onto a drab tote-bag, too. I haven't bought any other stickers, but now I'm keeping my eye out for cute ones. It's an easy way to make things adorable, so long as it's done in moderation.

5. Ballet flats: I'm just obsessed, period. I have something along the lines of 14ish pairs, but I'm always looking for more. I'm wearing my most recent aquisitions (at right) today, and sadly, they're slightly too big, but I don't care. I can deal with my heels slipping when they're this damn cute.

That's all I can think of for now. There are tons of others, but I won't bore you with such a long list. Unless, of course, you now all covet my ridiculously fashionable style. . . nah. Besides, I'm too lazy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home