Friday, June 16, 2006

The battle of the comfy heels

You know, writing about Tara Subkoff's shoes for Easy Spirit has had me thinking about comfortable shoes. Nothing is better than a sexy, fun pair of shoes that's comfortable at the same time (ladies and gentlemen, I give you. . . flats!), but that can be hard to track down, especially if you're as much of a fan of heels as I am. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much live in ballet flats, but nothing makes me feel dressier, sexier, or more ladylike than an nice pair of stillettos. Unfortunately, it can be tough to be comfortable when your heels are four inches off the ground. Personally, I think that the most important aspect of how comfortable heels are is how well they fit--a high heel that's too tight, too narrow, or too loose is going to hurt. End of story. Anything that fits well should be pretty bearable.

Nonetheless, there are a few companys that profess to make specifically comfortable shoes, and with heels, it's an intriguing concept. The question is, can you get the same degree of sexiness with a shoe that feels like a sneaker? As aforementioned, Tara Subkoff's line for Easy Spirit is fabulous:

but their normal line of shoes, is, um, not:

Now, the other specifically comfortable brand (sorry for the lack of a better term), Aerosoles, does a significantly better job:

but that's not to say that they're perfect:

Easy Spirit definitely scores mega points for having Tara Subkoff on board, but for people who want comfortable, cute shoes for less than $300, Aerosoles is definitely the better option. Still, even though they've come up with a few cute designs, they're not exactly the first place I'd go to shop for a great pair of shoes. I suppose comfortable shoe lines cater too much to the mumsy arch-support crowd to make comfortable shoes for the rest of us. In the meantime, maybe that new Dr. Sholl's heel insert works. If not, that's why we have taxis.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Principessa said...

Oh cool, I've never even thought of that! I've noticed before that a lot of ballroom dance shoes are pretty, because I'm a dancer and I see them in the catalogues, but since they're usually basic and black where I look, I've never thought to wear them out. Still, I'm sure that with a search you can find great colors--what a great idea! Thanks!

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home