Tuesday, June 13, 2006

You know you're a New Yorker when you can't stop listening to your iPod for long enough to let it charge. . .

You know, the connection between style signifiers and status symbols really irks me (by which I mean that the fact that the trendiest IT items are often just a way of saying, "Look, I'm rich!"), but one expensive accessory that I'm personally addicted to is the ever-stylish iPod. It makes me feel a bit snobbish, because not only does having an iPod say that you can afford one (though frankly, I would sell my car in order to have one if mine broke), it also symbolically initiates you into the crowd that's so into music that you can't go anywhere without your entire music library. Twice a snob. Great.

The thing is, though, iPod are so damn useful--you walk long distances and save the subway fee because you won't get bored; you can pretend you don't hear the douche that sounds "Nice ass!" at you for five minutes after you pass by; you can walk right by the comedy promoters who try to shove flyers in your hand because you're so into your music; you can listen to your favorite song whenever you want if you're in a bad mood; you can load up on free podcasts and hear the news, hear new music, or learn Italian; the benefits go on and on. So, I'll break down on my stand that status symbols are crap in order to have an iPod. But that's the only exception I'll make! Oh, and designer jeans. I'll make an exception for them, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger La Principessa said...

That's definitely true--an iPod is not a shared toy. A big part of the reason that I like mine so much is that the bubble it gives you offers some protection. When you're alone on the streets, if you have a reason to ignore the guys that scream obscenities at you, they'll generally just stop (whereas if you acknowledge them in any way, they won't--I've had creepy guys follow me. Ew!). But using an iPod when you're hanging out with friends, I agree, is DEFINITELY unstylish. And rude.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never before have I seen someone sum up my thoughts so exactly.
This made me laugh, so, so much.
You're great. :)

12:29 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

Aw. Thanks! I'm deeply emotionally touched.

I really am flattered, though. I'm so glad you enjoy!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home