Monday, June 12, 2006

Cory Who?

Apparently, a bunch of people have found my blog by searching "Cory Kennedy Cobra Snake." I knew she had an internet cult following, but I didn't know that it stretched to the extent that people have found my humble fashion blog through it. I mean, I've mentioned her once! I guess her influence is very real, so I thought I'd take a moment to analyze what exactly it is that makes her a style icon. Here, she's pictured with the man who made her (kind of) famous, the cobra snake himself. He's the one who looks like he wandered out of 1983, and she's the one with the dark messy hair. The messy hair is definitely part of her look. Actually, my hair looks good messy, too. Still, I take the time to brush it and/or pull it back sometimes. She's got that whole derelicte vibe going on in general, if you ask me. BUT, she's a club kid, not a celebrity or an Olsen twin, so I suppose it's acceptable for her. Let's examine her dress sense for a second, shall we? She wears what basically appear to be thrift store cast-offs that hang like a tent off her drug-skinny body (note: I'm not asserting that she does drugs. I have no idea whether or not she does. I'm saying that she's skinny enough that she looks like she could), often with tights or leggings, and she adds a big, spangly piece of jewelry that I actually rather like. I like the juxtaposition of beat-up clothing and something finer and more delicate in jewelry. I mean, this outfit doesn't appear to be anything more than an old t-shirt, wool tights, and a long pretty necklace. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that it works for her. Still, let's return to the beauty for a second. She has messy, curly hair in what I'm sure is an expensive haircut, because it always looks stylish. She's always wearing eyeliner. Her eyes are huge. She also always looks just a little f*cked up, which isn't too surprising, seeing as she always seems to have a bottle of something in her hands, or not far away.

Is that it? Is that why she's so adored? Is is that she looks so skinny and young, but also so drugged up? It's sort of a little-girl-lost thing. This country loves to see delicate-looking women devoured by the party scene. Kate Moss. Lindsey Lohan. Eating disorders and drug abuse turn party girls into bizarre sorts of social martyrs. Glamourous martyrs. Weird.

Ok, it's too early in the morning for me to be blogging. I'm getting all socially critical. I'm gonna go away now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was a neato post. youre right on the money with her though, i think the same thing lol

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you nailed it for the most part.

i see her around quite often and i don't get the obsession.
i think she looks trashy.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i know that others, including myself admire her for her amazing sense of style! she sometiems has amazing pieces on.

8:03 AM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

In a lot of the pictures I've seen of her, she does look quite stylish, I agree. It's just that the practical starlet status has come up awfully quickly, and I don't quite get the reasons. These were just my silly ruminations on the subject.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about Cory Kennedy is.....EVERYONE in LA dresses like she does. I have been going to clubs and parties since long before she has, seeing as she is basically a fetus and not old enough to be drinking, and this is not a new style for the club scene here in LA. So, to me, as well as all the other people who have been hanging out since long before mark hunter and cory kennedy came along, this obsession with her/him is soooooo weird and strange. Anyone else feel the same way?

9:22 PM  
Blogger La Principessa said...

You know, I hesitate to say that it must be her personality, because not a single article about her says anything so much as "she's fun," but maybe she's charming or something. More likely, she was in the right place (ie, in front of the Cobra Snake's lens) at the right time. At least, that's the best I can figure.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home